Having high expectations means believing students should always strive to achieve their best. Raising expectations is not about being strict or a micro-manager. It’s quite the opposite. By raising your expectations, students will work hard whether you’re watching them or not.
What does it mean to have high expectations for students?
In education, the term high expectations, or the phrase common high expectations, typically refers to any effort to set the same high educational standards for all students in a class, school, or education system.
Why having high expectations for students is important?
Importance of High Expectations
When teachers have high expectations for students and provide tasks that are engaging and of high interest, students build self-esteem, increase confidence and improve academic performance (Brophy, 2008; 2010).
What does having high expectations mean?
From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English high hopes/expectationswhen someone hopes or expects that something will be very good or successful My expectations of the place were never very high, but I didn’t think it would be this bad.have high hopes/expectations Like many young actors, I had high hopes when I …
What does high expectations look like in the classroom?
Expectations are high when teachers (or students) communicate the expectation that all members of the class can learn important knowledge and skills that are challenging for them. … They are also low when teachers (or students) communicate that they do not expect some students to be able to do the work.
How do you communicate high expectations for all students?
- Communicate clear expectations. Be specific in what you expect students to know and be able to do.
- Create an environment in which there is genuine respect for students and a belief in their capability. Encourage students to meet expectations for a particular task. Offer praise when standards are me.
How do you know if your expectations are too high?
How do you recognize if your expectation level is too high? Here are four signs;
- You believe that those in your life (personal or professional) should know what you need without you having to say anything. …
- You want others to be just like you. …
- Don’t worry, they’ll change.
How do you describe someone who has high expectations?
A perfectionist is someone with very high standards: they want everything to be just right at all times. … Perfectionists tend to do very good work because of their high standards.
How do you stop high expectations?
9 Things You Need to Stop Expecting From Others
- Don’t expect people to agree every time you speak. …
- Don’t expect others to acknowledge you when you berate yourself. …
- Don’t expect others to respect you when you don’t respect yourself. …
- Don’t expect others to tell you what to do when you have no idea what you want.
What are examples of high expectations?
For example, they ask how or why, ask for another way to answer, ask for a better word, ask for evidence, ask students to integrate a related skill, and/or ask students to apply the same skill in a new setting.