Social Media has many positive effects on education including better communication, timely information, socializing online, learning, enhancing skills, making a career among others. But the same has some negative effects which include identity theft, cyber bullying, and social isolation.
What are some negative effects of social media?
Social media may promote negative experiences such as:
- Inadequacy about your life or appearance. …
- Fear of missing out (FOMO). …
- Isolation. …
- Depression and anxiety. …
- Cyberbullying. …
- Self-absorption. …
- A fear of missing out (FOMO) can keep you returning to social media over and over again.
How does social media negatively affect academic performance?
Social media has more adverse effects than positive ones (Woods and Scott, 2016). Since students tend to spend more time on social media other than educational purposes; this tends to cause distraction from the learning environment, affecting their academic progress (Bekalu et al., 2019, Hettiarachchi, 2014).
What are 3 risks of social media?
The risks you need to be aware of are:
- cyberbullying (bullying using digital technology)
- invasion of privacy.
- identity theft.
- your child seeing offensive images and messages.
- the presence of strangers who may be there to ‘groom’ other members.
What is the biggest problem with social media?
The more time spent on social media can lead to cyberbullying, social anxiety, depression, and exposure to content that is not age appropriate. Social Media is addicting.