While night classes are mandatory for many, or are simply taken for convenience purposes, they do create an added danger that students must take seriously. Every day, assault, theft and other crimes are reported on college campuses across the country.
Is it safe to walk around campus at night?
The Helmsman staff conducted a poll and found men felt safer on campus on night than women. Out of 113 men surveyed, 99 said they felt safe walking around campus at night, while 14 said they did not. Out of 113 women surveyed, 61 said they felt safe, while 52 said they did not feel safe.
Do students feel safe on college campuses?
When asked “What should be done to make your campus safer?,” 55% of those surveyed responded “more police or security officers.” Among the students, 45% feels that security is inadequate versus 30% who feels it is adequate. As a result, most of the students (9) feel unsafe, while only 4 students feel safe on campus.
How do you stay safe on a college campus?
Tips to Stay Safe on Campus:
- Lock your doors.
- Attend safety classes and review training videos.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use the buddy system.
- Avoid drinking in excess.
- Carry a cell phone.
- Sign up for alerts.
- Ask for help when needed.
How can you be safe in a dorm?
Tips for Keeping Your Dorm Safe
- Lock up or hide your valuables. …
- Obey access rules for the exterior of the building. …
- Keep your room door locked. …
- Don’t leave valuables out in plain sight. …
- Keep an inventory of all your valuables. …
- Get insurance. …
- Remember the buddy system. …
- Lock your door even when you’re in your room.
Can you leave campus at night?
You are able to leave your dorms at whatever time you choose, as long as the campus is not on lockdown (does not happen often). You do not have to sleep in your dorm every night, you can choose where you sleep.
What is the safest college campus in America?
Study: These are the Safest College Campuses in America
|1||IDAHO||Brigham Young University-Idaho|
|3||KENTUCKY||Northern Kentucky University|
|4||RHODE ISLAND||University of Rhode Island|
How do you know if a college campus is safe?
How to Choose a Safe Campus
- Look at the school’s statistics Every university is required to have them, and they can be very revealing. …
- Contact counselors Talk to counselors about the track record of the university when it comes to crime; many are candid.
What is the number one cause of death for college students?
According to the study Causes of Mortality Among College Students, the three most common causes of death among college aged students, ages 18 -24, are accidents, including alcohol related injuries, suicide, and cancer.